OUR THOUGHTS ON THE LOCAL PLAN CONSULTATION
Melbourne Civic Society is a local amenity society and registered charity. It was founded in 1974 in response to the threatened destruction of Chantry House in Church Street. The Society now has nearly 200 members and actively campaigns to preserve and improve the environment in Melbourne and Kings Newton.
What we do:
• Hold regular talks on environmental and historical topics; also social events and visits
• Provide regular expert input to the local authority on planning applications
• Make an annual award for the best new building, restoration scheme or landscape conservation
• Monitoring of airport development and noise
• Publish a quarterly newsletter
• Conservation work, including maintenance of the Holy Well
• Tree and bulb planting and a bi-annual litter pick
• Hold exhibitions based on our work.
President: Lord R. Kerr DL
Registered charity no. 1108835
Affiliated to Civic Voice.